3/8/06

umbilical theory

in class yesterday, while trying to help us all understand object relations theory and the concept of attachment, my wise professor just dropped everything she was holding and said, "The belly button explains it all....it is our connection to humanity." amongst the blank stares, she caught my eye, we both knew.
i haven't been able to stop thinking of it since.

all of us came into this world literally attached to another human being, yet, without this membrane tying us to one another, we make our way through life, trying to convince ourselves that we are not one...but we are. a collective humanity. and it all starts with the belly button...more blank stares.

3 comments:

Anne said...

So true.

We are all connected.

We all come from the same place, we are all kept alive by the same thing, we all started out the same...and really ended up the same too.

Umbilical theory is right on! Your professor sounds fantastic!

amanda jane said...

chanda mulligan,
so glad you didn't stop reading my blog! that whole post was created from a lot of angst...so it is no wonder it created angst in my readers. I debated removing it, and like you, have spent many sleepless nights contemplating "what REALLY is in a name." But, I assure you, I do stand behind your choice (it helps that I really like bry). I will also stand behind my choice in keeping the post on here, as it is who I AM and have always been. Ever since I was connected to mom through my belly button.

amanda jane said...

Oh to bryan
I can't post our numbers online....well could, but don't want to so, drop us a post card, hope you have our address, cause i'm not going to post that either. i'll be heading to Thailand in June, are we going to hook up?