10/1/07

don't quit your day job

how many times have you heard this phrase? 10, 15, 115 times? yeah, me too. it seems everyone thinks this is good advice to tell young people. so we finish school, only to find ourselves in some job that pays well and somehow manage to find enough time to pursue what we love IN ADDITION to working a job that we HATE. artists and musicians know this all too well. i've never really considered myself an artist or a musician (thought secretly i aspire to be both), but still, i know how they feel.

but what does it really mean? that doing what you love is a luxury? that you'll never be able to support yourself AND do what you love? that we should just be miserable like our parents and toil away for years and years, only to find out that in the end none of that mattered?

luckily i never had parents like this. my parents are still both trying to figure out what they love. and my dad is STILL quitting his day job (way to go dad!) but luckily i also have friends to show me the way...

Paige
and...
Luke
and...
Matt
and...
Tia
and...
Jake
and...
Damanda & Andy
and...
Anne it's only a matter of time until this blog gets discovered and you can quit your day job!


and... maybe i won't be burning my work uniform in a large backyard bonfine (again, way to go dad!) but, i did quit my day job.

8 comments:

eleanor said...

Amen sister...My last day of work is tomorrow! For the first time in over 11 years I am leaving my "day job" with no intention of finding a new one. I feel energized and liberated and so thankful to have friends who have encouraged me to follow my dreams. Thank you, Amanda Jane...

keo boun pheng said...

OH amanda! congrats.
i am proud of you! can't wait to hear about your next step. the seasons are changing -- and i'm witnessing so many people breathing the air of change .. good things are coming!! way to go!

(looking forward to seeing you soon!)

Anne said...

yeah!!! so happy for your amanda.

Natalie Ellen Eamonn said...

Amanda, yes I hear you loud and clear,,but please dont quite your day job which i find is such an array with your endless talents,writing, gardening, mothering,photos,loving friend... you just get it..you continue to aspire for more and live for TODAY. am wondering what the next dream you are about to fulfill is???love ya nat

damara & andy said...

that's a hoot about your dad. i love it! we're all still living and learning, no matter the age . . . and, you were right about the homesteading comment; thanks for reminding me that we're doing ok. congrats, woman!

Betsy said...

I'm SUPER jealous. Way to make the leap. I don't even know what your day job is/was, but I fully support passionate risk-taking. I feel lucky to be tangentially connected to this super creative gang of individuals.

paige said...

amanda - you are what i like to call 'a closet creative' i'm so glad you are coming out. and i am so proud to be your friend. you are an amazing artist/singer/mother/designer/friend.

teambartz said...

way to go amanda!