6/20/06

smile, nod, "pants off please"

what i'm about to tell you may shock you. those prone to blushing (paige) may wish to turn away. mom, dad, if this is the first time checking my blog, I apologize. I know this is not the girl you raised me to be.

so, we leave chiang mai today for the south of thailand, where we intend to live out the remainder of our trip lying on the beach, drinking mai tai's and getting massages. in preparation for this i decide i want to get waxed. you know, waxed. so, we go into our favorite massage parlor, where jana and anne both had cute thai boys rub their feet. we like the place. it's nice, neat, smells good.

but still, i am nervous. i've never done this before. jana and anne coach me, tell me it only hurts for a second. they tell me they'll be down the street at a cafe. I grab jana's arm. "make sure it's a woman" i say in desperation. she says something in thai to the boy behind the counter. "chai, chai" (yes, yes) he says.
i think it's all sorted. i try to relax. they leave. they laugh.

the boy motions for me to come upstairs. i follow. he has a rice steamer and an old tin can. he is stirring the wax. the woman smiles and nods and motions for me to take off my pants. i smile. i look at her, i look at him. he's still stirring the wax in the old tin can. i look at her again. she nods. i am freaking out.

i stand there. i am not smiling anymore. he turns to me. smiles, nods. "pants off please" he says in broken english. i shake my head. "it's ok, i do, i do before." oh my god. this cute boy is going to see my unruly "bikini area." i want to kill jana. what did she say downstairs?

but jana is long gone and so is my inhabition. i am in thailand afterall. so, i do the unthinkable. i take off my pants and get on the table. i lie down. i close my eyes. i think this could be the most embarrasing thing that has ever happened to me. or is it?

the wax is hot. i wince. "too hot?" he asks. "chai" i say. he blows on it slightly to cool it. he HAS done this before. still i can't believe this is me. on the table. legs spread. in only my underwear. i put my hands behind my head and take a deep breath. i whisper "jai yen yen" which literally means cool hearted, or i'm chill, chill. "you speak thai?" "mai chai" (no) i say. or do i?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness. what a fab story. i can't wait to hear the whole story from anne and jana's point of view. i bet they just sat in the cafe peeing themselves. well, you seem to be having an amazing time. thanks for letting the rest of us share in the fun. i have been checking your blog daily for the updates. i love it. can't wait to hang out with you once you're back and hear your many stories. continue to enjoy. Meg

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! I wish I could have been there with you! You are a brave woman...I can't wait to hear all about all your other advertures! I miss you...I love you! Be Safe. Your little sis!

paige said...

well i guess all that hullahoo about standing up for yourself when you've got your pants off just goes out the window when hes cute. amanda jane. amanda jane.

Anonymous said...

Well this is your mother!I read your blog for the 1st time and what do I read but "you taking your pants off for a cute boy"!Well as your mother all I can say is "YOU GO GIRL". Thanks for the fun reading. We miss you and are waiting for you to come home with more stories.(this one I may not tell Grand P about)Mom