2/25/08

western medicine?

would your doctor ever call you and tell you that another patient of theirs is very sick and needs a pot of chicken soup (with lots of garlic) brought to their door?

i didn't think so.

which is why i love the power of the feminine spirit. midwifery, in it's truest form, is this incredible gift that i'm just slowly beginning to unwrap, like a child with a present. it continues to surprise me. delight me.

and i am sincerely delighted to be making soup for an expectant couple who are too sick even to cook, knowing that feeding them not only nourishes their bodies, but also nourishes my community, my world and my own soul.

would your doctor ever tell you about things like that?

i didn't think so.

4 comments:

Anne said...

that is pretty amazing amanda.

paige said...

you are so great. i can't wait until you're sleeping again. thanks for coming down on saturday. it meant so much to me.

Anne, Leighton and Lilly said...

thank you so much for the delicious chicken soup! We could tell it was made with love; we feel so fortunate to be a part of this supportive circle of people that we just suddenly happened upon. It makes me feel like there's still hope for this world.
love,
Anne & Leighton

April said...

amanda, this post made my heart sing. yea for women, midwifes, chicken soup (and the people willing to make it!)